We usually do not start school until after Labor Day. So I use the month of August to work out what we will be doing up to Christmas Break.
For some reason I've been thinking a lot about FOOD! Teaching at home also means eating at home- ALL DAY! I've always thought that it was important to have easy to grab snacks. A wise mom told me that she has a list on her fridge of snacks that her kids could have anytime. I haven't done this but plan on starting it this year. We do not have a scheduled snack break. When you get hungry and if it is not meal time then you can grab a snack.What snacks are great to have around for a quick grab?I am the shopper so it is up to me to keep the snack stock full. Each girl gets to pick out one special snack at the store. This helps me with making the decision on what to buy.
I want to make sure that my daughters are following recipes and preparing the snacks, too! This is a very important to me. I want my daughters to be able to cook for themselves and others.
This year I'm going to work on teaching them how to make something from what you have in your pantry. I love doing this. It takes practice for some!
Here are the first 4 weeks of snacks. Some have links. Others need recipes. I will post recipes in September.
- Granola bars
- Cheese sticks
- Sea Salt Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Fruit snacks
- Apples, Pears & Banana Kabobs
- Granola (1/2 c each: butter, honey, wheat germ, brown sugar, raisins, 3 cups oats, 1 c each sunflower seeds and other nuts. Melt together butter, honey, sugar. Add all other ingredients. Microwave on high for 4 min. Spread out on baking sheet to cool. Store in covered container or Ziploc bag.) *We are going to try some new granola recipes which are lower in sugar. I will post those recipes results in September.
- Apples, Pears and Grape Kabobs
- Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cheese and crackers
- Fruit snacks
- Sticks and Stones
- Pudding cups
- Rice Krispy bars (make according to box directions)
- Soft Pretzels (We will try out a few recipes and post in September)
Week 4 Snack Options
- Fruit Leather (Never made it but want to. I have several recipes. We will do these and report back in September!
- Snack crackers
- Yam n Jam Muffins
- Spiders (share recipe later)
If you have any snack recipes to share please include them in the comments. If you have a blog and want to share your snacks or Back To School Ideas please add your link in the above Back To School MckLinky! That way my visitors and I can come visit you too!
Stay tuned for more Back To School Food ideas featuring those other meals!
This post has been sponsored as part of a larger campaign.