This is a really easy recipe. The best thing for you to know is that you can take most rice or potato dishes and add it to a cooked pumpkin and make this dish.
Dinner in a Pumpkin
2 cups of of cooked rice or a mixture of vermicelli and rice
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 lbs. chicken, chopped in bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can stewed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
4-oz sliced mushrooms, drained
8-oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove top of pumpkin and set aside; hollow out, discarding everything but the pulp.
3. Decorate with permanent markers, if desired. You could write the name of the dish, draw a pumpkin face, etc.
4. Take 1 tablespoon of oil and lightly oil the inside of the pumpkin.
5. Sprinkle around the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
6. Put the pumpkin and top in a baking dish and then on a baking sheet and cook for 1 hour in the oven.
While pumpkin is baking put together the rice mixture.
1. With 1 tablespoon of oil, saute onion, celery and garlic for 5 minutes.
2. Add in red pepper, mushrooms and chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink (about 5 minutes.)
3. Add in tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, water chestnuts and seasoning to taste.
4. Once combined, let simmer for 5 minutes and add in cooked rice.
5. Turn off heat. Add mixture to pumpkin that has cooked for 1 hour.
6. Add the top to the pumpkin and put back in oven. Cook for 1 more hour.
7. Cooking time varies by size of pumpkin but a 10-12 inch pumpkin should only take 2 hours total to cook. After the 2nd hour, the pumpkin should be soft to touch. Don't overcook or the pumpkin may collapse.
8. To serve put it on a fun platter. Scoop out the food on a plate making sure you are getting pumpkin with the rice mixture. You can also slice the pumpkin and include rice on top of each slice.
9. Serves 6-8. It is so tasty and a great way to get pumpkin in the diet.
10. This dish provided a lot of liquid. We used it to add on top of our food.
*THIS can be made with any of your favorite rice or potato mixtures. I found it best to precook the pumpkin and the inside filling. This smelled so good cooking. I can't wait for it to get cooler out so that I can make it again.
The vegetables that I used can also be substituted for any of your favorites.
Need a fun pumpkin decoration? Check out my cute Ms. Pumpkin Home Decor that is being featured on Bowdabra. Thanks!