Homemade "refried" pinto beans
6 cups of dry pinto beans
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2-1 jalapeño, sliced in half
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup cumin
water or low sodium chicken stock
1 jar Herdez Salsa Verde (Don't add into the crockpot with the beans. This gets added to the end after you blend the beans)
1. Soak beans overnight in a crockpot full of water. (8-12 hours)
2. In morning, drain any extra water and refill with water or chicken stock to cover the beans.
3. Add in rest of ingredients.
4. Cook on high for 6-8 hours in the crockpot.
5. Check after 6 hours and if beans or done, turn off. If they aren't quiet done, let cook last 2 hours.
6. When beans are done, take lid off and let cool for a few hours. If you don't have time to let cool, add some beans to a bowl to cool for 15 minutes or so before blending.
7. Add 1-2 cups of partially cooled beans to the Blendtec Blender. Be careful and keep the lid slightly open if the beans are warm to allow the heat to escape.
8. If the beans are dry, add a little bit of the water from the crockpot.
9. Blend the beans and use the water to keep the beans smooth. Once the beans are all blended, add in 1 jar of salsa verde (green salsa
*These are better than any can beans. They are very low sodium and no added fat for the "refried" step.
*We eat this on our Easy Chicken Tostada Salad, Texas Straw Hat, bean nachos, bean dip, bean quesadillas and more! We freeze the beans in 2 cup portions, too.
*When I first did these I added too many beans to the blender. I have since learned that you only want to blend 1-2 cups at a time.
Besides using our Blendtec for these yummy beans, we also use it to make smoothies with the Stonyfield Blends Yogurt. We have a collection of fun, green and healthy St. Patrick's Day smoothies which we have tried with these yogurts. We like to play around with the recipes and use different yogurt flavors. My friend over at Little Island Studios has a recipe for a Chocolate Strawberry Banana smoothie which is on my recipe to do list!
Are you ready to enter to win your own stash of Stonyfield Blends and a Blendtec blender? The blender motor is factory reconditioned and comes with a 7 year warranty, delish cookbook and value of $400!
Giveaway ends 3/9
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I'm a member of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. Product was provided for review purposes and my own tasty recipe & opinions are expressed here.