Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 1
Have you ever been given the starter? IF not, here is an easy way to make your own starter.
FRIENDSHIP BREAD STARTER (click to print recipe)
This is the Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe. Use this if you don't have a starter. Once you mix it that is consider Day 1, which is what you get when someone gives you the starter. ONLY use plastic or wooden utensils and only glass or plastic containers. Ziplock bags are great to use. Do NOT use metal. The metal will react to your starter and discolor it.
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup milk
1. Use a measuring to dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well. After 5 minutes if you are not getting a lot of reaction, sprinkle in 1 tsp sugar. This will do the trick!
2. Use a medium glass or plastic bowl to combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or your milk will cause it to get lumpy.
3. Slowly stir in milk and then the yeast mixture. Loosely cover the mixture with a lid or plastic wrap. You can dump it all in a ziplock bag at this time, too. This is Day 1 of the starter cycle, or the day you receive the starter. Follow the below daily schedule.
For fun, I'll post daily on the steps and include photos for you. Feel free to link up any Amish Friendship bread recipes on your blog!
Day 2 - stir
Day 3 - stir
Day 4 - stir
Day 5 - stir
Day 6 -Add 1 cup each of flour, sugar and milk
Day 7 - stir
Day 8 - stir
Day 9 - stir
Day 10 - Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Divide into 4 containers, with 1 cup each for three of your friends and 1 cup for your own loaves. Give friends the instructions for Day 1 through Day 10 and a recipe for baking the bread. I will share some of these recipes soon!
- ► 2012 (531)
- House Party Party Susieq's Fresch from the Silve...
- Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough TLC B...
- Amish Friendship Bread Zucchini Chocolate Chip Re...
- Drinking Closer to Home Review with TLC Book Tours...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 10 with Rec...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 9 with Reci...
- Bamboo Tea Chest Review & Giveaway
- The Death Instinct TLC Book Tours Review
- Who wants a $100 CSN Store Giveaway? ME!!!
- Grounds for Change Coffee Review
- Gamewright Games Press Release
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 8 with Reci...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 7 with Reci...
- Free Kaplan Text books and Study Guides! Ends toni...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 6 with Reci...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 5 with Reci...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 4 with Reci...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 3 with Reci...
- U Follow Me I Follow U Friday Blog Hop and Giveawa...
- Thai Green Curry Chicken Recipe
- Red Curry Pad Thai Noodle Recipe
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 2 with Reci...
- Coconut Rice Recipe
- Interview with Missy Buchanan, an author and advoc...
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Day 1
- Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams by Rhonda Hayter
- Major Pettigrew's Last Stand TLC Book Tour Review
- Chinese Food Take-in Recipes
- Veggie Fried Rice Recipe with Gooseberry Patch
- Quick and Easy Crab Rangoon Recipe
- Healthy Recipes for 2011! Share and you could WIN ...
- Bacon Muffins and Gooseberry Patch Cookbook Giveaw...
- Join the Virtual GNO Saturday Blog Hop
- Speedy Sausage Muffin Recipe & Gooseberry Patch Co...
- Happy Epiphany! King Cake and Carnival Time! Link ...
- Free iTriage Smart Phone App!
- Million Minute Family Game Challenge is over! Game...
- Gooseberry Patch Cookbook Giveaway and Recipe
- Happy New Year 2011
- ▼ January (39)
- ► 2010 (484)
- ► 2009 (229)