Friday, July 2, 2010
The Girls from Ames: Forty years of Freindships
Do you have a childhood friend that you still keep in touch with? How many years have you been friends? I have a friend from about the time I was in 4th-5th grade with whom I randomly keep in touch with (Hi Martha) on and off over the past 25years. Can you imagine having 10 childhood friends that you've kept in touch with for over 40 years? I can't related to that at all. The longest relationship that I've ever had is with my best friend/husband for 20 years.
The book, The Girls from Ames, is about that group of 11 women and how their friendships started and continues to go strong for over 40 years and spread out in over 8 states! The author, Jeffrey Zaslow, put together an awesome book detailing their connections over the years. His research included their childhood diaries, secret class notes, photos and interviews, one on one phone interviews as well as a group get together.
It is amazing to read their stories and see how their friendships all began. The friendships began as two girls being friends and then one of those friends knew someone else and so on and on it went. Over the years "they believed their friendships thrived because they had raised some expectations and lowered others...not expecting constant attention...a friend didn't return an email or phone call...it didn't mean she was angry or backing away from the friendship; she was likely just exhausted from her day" I love that wisdom that came out of their friendships!
If you are a woman read this book! If you are a man, read this book! It will give you insight into how we form and maintain friendships.
Thanks to Penguin Group and TwitterMoms for the review opportunity.
- ► 2012 (531)
- ► 2011 (462)
- RADIUS Intelligent toothbrush Giveaway and Review
- 5 Second Rule by Patch Games
- Country Bob's Beef Jerky Recipe and Giveaway
- Masterworks Broadway release of Frank Loesser's He...
- Masterworks Broadway Opens the Vault
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
- Yo Gabba Gabba! Live Tour Giveaway
- Hidden Wives by Claire Avery - Book Tour
- Follow Me Friday!
- Giveaway of the Day- I Hate To Cook Book
- Summer Camp Survival Guide
- Giveaway- The Secret Lives of Princesses
- WNBA Ticket Discount Deal of the Day
- Socks Appeal wins Cutest Giveaway of the Day!
- Homeschool and Educational Link up
- Guest Chef Betty Crocker wins Twin Cities Bacon Ta...
- TeaGschwendner opens in Rockefeller Center NYC
- Crime of the Century 31 Bond Street Book Tour Cont...
- Mocha Microwave Mug Cake Recipe Gluten Free
- Hana Professional Flat Iron Review and Giveaway
- Shoulder Bags and Shootings Book Review
- Free Jiffy Mix Cookbook
- Tuesday Tag Along Blog Hop
- My Pepperidge Farms Milano Moment
- Hearts on a String Book Review and Giveaway
- How do you get your kids to embrace summer reading...
- Masterworks Broadway releases Promises, Promises
- Summer Italian Sub Salad Recipe
- The Secrets of Newberry Novel Giveaway Review
- Tropical Traditions Organic Coconut Peanut Butter ...
- Lumby on the Air Review and Giveaway
- What is your Alibi? Author Teri Woods
- The Girls from Ames: Forty years of Freindships
- Febreze Fresh House Party Giveaway
- Free Barnes and Noble All-American Classics
- ▼ July (35)
- ► 2009 (229)