From the back cover:
For Ivory Bones Arcineaux and Julian Bynote, life in 1950s New Orleans couldn't be sweeter. Friends since they met in an illegal gambling house in Newberry, Louisiana, they have their pick of all the fine women, good food, and hot nights they can handle. They seem to have it made-especially Julian who begins to make a new life for himself after meeting the beautiful, classy Magnolia Garbo at a social. But both men are about to find out that letting the good times roll can be deadly when a simple robbery goes wrong and Julian witnesses Bones murdering a man in cold blood.
My Take on the Book:
I personally loved this book. The setting is 1950s deep south. I loved the historical telling of the story of life of African Americans from every day life on the plantation to the going on of big city life. The book took my breath away a few times as I gasped at the secrets being exposed. The characters were well developed and I couldn't help but have empathy for all of them. The book includes a Reading Group Guide which put the book over the top! This book would be great for a book club! My favorite quote came toward the end. "Silence was the key to locking the door on family history, put away but not soon forgotten." What a true statement that most of us can identify.
To enter: Go check out Hachette Book Group and tell me of another book from their site that you would love to read. (This must be done to enter the giveaway and leave an email contact)
BONUS entries- (do all, one or none)
1) Right side bar- Follow my blog on Google Friend Connect or Twitter for 3 entries each follow. Leave separate comments.
2) Comment on any of my other blog post and or enter any of my giveaways for 5 extra entries each entry! Unlimited! (giveaways on top right sidebar) Check back because I have more giveaways to post.
3) Follow my RSS Feed (right side bar) for 10 entries Leave separate comments!
4) Tweet giveaway! Leave tweet links here. "Do you have a Family Secret? Check out The Secrets of Newberry Review and Giveaway http://bit.ly/aQReKi "
Unlimited tweets and 2 entries each tweet! Follow me on Twitter for 2 extra entries @Susieqtpies
5) Blog the giveaway or post on another site and link it back to my post. 10 entries
6) Put my button on your blog or link to my blog on your blog 10 entries (right side bar)
ENDS JULY 16th
Winners chosen by Random.org
The more you enter the greater your chance.
Thanks to Anna at Hachette for providing the review copy of this book for me to read and enjoy! The words expressed on My Take of the book are of my own tasty words and opinions. They will send a book to three of my readers.
Open to USA readers.