DR. NANCY STEELY’S GLUTEN FREE DESSERT RECIPE:
USANA Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate or carob chips
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (rinse and drain, if using canned)
4 eggs or equivalent egg white substitute
2/3 cup ultra-fine cane sugar or low-glycemic equivalent, such as Stevia for Baking
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs Chocolate Whey Nutrimeal
1/2 Tbs Fibergy Plus
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or preferred fruit
(optional) 1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
2. Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave on medium, stirring frequently.
3. Combine the beans and eggs in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, combine bean mash, sugar, baking powder, Nutrimeal and Fibergy Plus; whisk until thoroughly combined.
5. Stir in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
6. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate; cover with desired fruit and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, just before serving.
Guest recipe provided by Dr. Nancy Steely. Do you have Celiac Disease or know someone who might? Read more here- May is National Celiac Disease Awareness Month.