Friday, May 25, 2012
Quinoa Cuisine Cookbook Review & Recipes
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a superfood. It is one of the few foods that can provide nearly all the nutrients essential for life. It is thought of as being a grain but it is in the goosefoot family and related to beets, spinach, and chard and the seed is mainly what is consumed. The roots of this food, also known as "gold" or "mother crop" go all the way back to ancient Incans. This food was introduced commercially into the USA in the 1980s. Quinoa is also gluten-free!
Here are the chapters (most are broken into Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall) and some recipes worth trying:
Chapter 1-Essential Recipes: Buttermilk Pancakes, Buttermilk Biscuits, Pizza Dough and Rice Flour Pie Crust
Chapter 2-Breakfasts:Honey Cinnamon Granola, Tri-berry Smoothie, Asparagus-Provolone Quiche and Pumpkin Waffles
Chapter 3-Starters: Multigrain Crackers, Hummus, Quinoa-Crab Salad in Lettuce Cups, Thai Summer Rolls and Sesame-Quinoa Cheese Straws
Chapter 4-Salads: Green Mango Salad, Tabouleh Salad, Fried Green Tomato Salad and Quinoa Caprese Salad
Chapter 5-Soups and Stews: Mulliatawny Soup, Bloody Mary Gazpacho Lemony Chicken Noodle Soup
Chapter 6-Side Dishes and Pilafs:Beef Pot Pie, Stuffed Artichokes with Garlic Lemon Aioli, Polenta Fries, Asian Style Edamame and Shiitake Pilaf and Grilled Quinoa Cakes
Chapter 7-Meat and Fish: Horseradish and Sour Cream-Crusted Tilapia, Crab Cakes, Suffed Trout, Fish Tacos and Stuffed Park Tenderloin
Chapter 8-Vegetarian: Quinoa Mini "Meat" Loaves, Stuffed Acorn Squash and Stuffed Acorn Squash
Chapter 9-Desserts: Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake, Not-So-Nutty "Peanut Butter Bars", Lemon Glazed Pound Cake, Funnel Cake Bites and Ginger Peach Shortcake
Chapter 10-Picnics, Packed Lunches, and Other Portable Goodies: Shrimp, Cucumber, and Quinoa Salad, Sun-dried Tomato and Mozzarella Stromboli, Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Chapter 11-Parties, Potlucks and Presents: Puttanesca Bake, Mini Pizzas, Quinoa Corn Pudding, Ginger Biscotti and Rich Chocolate Zucchini Bread
The book is very educational. All the recipes include symbols to designate them as 30 min. or less, Freezes well, Gluten-free, Good for company, Healthy choice, Kid friendly, Vegan and/or Vegetarian. Serving sizes are given as well as stories and tips.
After reading this cookbook, I was very inspired to cook with Quinoa. I will be cooking from the book and share recipes! Check out the below recipe. Doesn't it look and sound great?
Asian-Style Edamame and Shitake Pilaf
There’s no reason that rice always has to be the go-to grain for Asian-style meals. With its neutral flavor, quinoa is a great complement for Asian entrées, and black quinoa makes for an especially striking contrast against the green edamame in this dish. This pilaf is excellent with miso-glazed salmon, soy-braised tofu, or teriyaki chicken.
30 Mins or Less, Good for Company, Healthy Choice, Vegetarian
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
2 green onions, sliced, white and green parts separated
1 cup black quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the
mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the pan and reserve.
2. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil to the pan along with the white parts of the green
onions. Sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the quinoa, water, soy sauce, and edamame;
bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the water has been absorbed and the
quinoa is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the mushrooms, cover, and let sit for
3. Fluff with a fork and stir in the sesame oil and rice vinegar to combine. To serve, transfer to a
serving bowl or individual plates and garnish with sesame seeds and the green parts of the green
Thanks to the sponsor for providing a copy of the cookbook for me to review. Where needed, my own tasty opinions are shared.
- Buffalo Chicken Shake- 30 Rock's drink
- Teen Driver Safety- Top 5 things in an Emergency
- Take a Bite Out of Dental Emergencies
- Calzone Bites easy recipe
- DIY Bow using a Tie for Father's Day
- Easy S'mores Cups
- Muppets Band-Aid Magic Vision App
- Gooseberry Patch The Christmas Table Cookbook Give...
- Menu Plan Monday & Happy National Burger Day
- May Printable Coupons
- Pinterest Link up with Patriotic ideas
- Print off Weekend Coupons before they expire
- Save $10 off at Shoe Carnival
- Quinoa Cuisine Cookbook Review & Recipes
- 3 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for National Physical F...
- Kids Who Give Contest! $10,000 Grand Prize
- Falafel, Hummus and Tzatziki recipes
- Gooseberry Patch Memorial Day Food Link up
- Garbanzo Bean Hummus Dip
- Top 10 Kid Gadgets for Summer Road Trips
- Pinterest for Dummies- Giveaway
- Menu Plan Monday - Cookbook Giveaway
- Pinterest Link up with Patriotic Crafts & Recipes
- Biscotti Moments Sweepstakes
- Gluten Free Frozen Tropical Chocolate Smoothie
- Link up anything Patriotic! $25 Amazon Giveaway
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- Food on the Table Menu Planning Site & Deals!
- FREE Diabetic BBQ Recipe Cookbook
- May is National Celiac Awareness Month
- MIGHTY FINE Blog Tour -Out in Theaters May 25th!
- Share Experiences in the Kitchen, Gain Foodie Foll...
- iPAD May-nia Giveaway!
- Mom-the unwritten letter Happy Mother's Day!
- Pinterest Link Party Blog Hop
- Crafty Halloween Candy Jar
- Fun Mother's Day Drinks with La Pinta
- NUEVA COCINA TURKEY PICADILLO CUPCAKES
- Southern Illinois Save 50% at Pagliai’s Pizza and ...
- Last minute inexpensive Mother's Day ideas!
- $100 Amazon FREE Blogger Giveaway Opportunity
- #DawnPowerClean 5-Minute Soak Challenge #ad
- Lamb Tacos- do you like lamb?
- Monday Menu and Blog Link Party
- Printable Coupons & Deals
- PUMPKIN FIESTA RICE
- HOT Jamba Juice $2.00 Coupon
- Spotify rocks!
- Eating out? Check out these Restaurant Deals!
- Pinterest Blog Hop link party
- Check out Zulily for 70-90% off deals!
- FREE Poetry Contest! Win $1,000
- Kernel Season's- No more naked food
- My Pro-Health® Clinical Plaque Control Test Drive ...
- Spike Seasoning Magics alternative to table salt
- General Mills - Box Tops for Education makes a dif...
- Salmon Patty with SeaBear Salmon
- ▼ May (57)
- ► 2011 (462)
- ► 2010 (484)
- ► 2009 (229)