But this isn't the gloom-and-doom addiction one might expect--Solotaroff looks back at even his lowest points with a wicked sense of humor, and he sends up the disco era and its excess with all the kaleidoscopic detail of Boogie Nights or Saturday Night Fever.
Written with candor and sarcasm, THE BODY SHOP is a memoir with all the elements of great fiction and dazzlingly displays Paul Solotaroff's celebrated writing talent.
My Take on the Book: This is one of those book that I said that I would read and review that I wasn't that sure about. I'm not into this pumping iron culture and so I was hesitant in reading. My decision to read this book came from the information that this book would describe some of the culture of the 70s. I was born in 1970 (sshhhh I just turned 4-0) and I'm always fascinated with what was going on in the world at that time. Some of that has to do with having parents who were young and living life crazily in this time. They aren't around for me to ask so I live through books, movies, music,etc and love to soak in what was going on.
I found this memoir clearly filled me in with that 70s cultures in a straight forward, humorous way! He cover the good and bad of his life and blowing me away with all the situations he was engaged into! I can't wait to attend the above BlogTalkRadio show to see if his interview humor is just as engaging as his written work!
To enter: Tell me something you know about (news, movies, music,etc) or did in the 70s! (This must be done to enter the giveaway and leave an email contact) Below where you get multiple entry points please leave a separate comment for each entry. So if something is worth 10 entries then leave 10 separate entries.
BONUS entries- (do all, one or none)
1) Right side bar- Follow my blog on Google Friend Connect or Twitter for 3 entries each follow.
2) Comment on any of my other blog post and or enter any of my giveaways for 5 extra entries each entry! Unlimited! (giveaways on top right sidebar) Check back because I have more giveaways to post.
3) Follow my RSS Feed (right side bar) for 10 entries
4) Tweet giveaway! Leave tweet links here. " The Body Shop- Parties, Pills & Pumping Iron Giveaway http://bit.ly/BodyShopGAW "
Unlimited tweets and 2 entries each tweet! Follow @Little, Brown and Co. Publishers and @Susieqtpies on twitter 2 entries each
5) Blog the giveaway or post on another site and link it back to my post. 10 entries
6) Put my button on your blog or link to my blog on your blog 10 entries (left side bar)
ENDS August 17th
Winners chosen by Random.org
The more you enter the greater your chance.
Open to USA and Canada readers.
Review & Giveaway copy of book given and mailed by sponsor, Hachette Book Group.
My Take on the Book are of my own tasty words and opinions.