Do you have mold in your bathroom? Ok I know most of you are going to say NO! Disgusting! NEVER! but 100% of homes do have mold. Mold and mildew are both lurking in your bathroom crevices even if you can't see them. Here are some tips to help cut down on mold-breeding opportunities.
- Set up a regular cleaning routine for your bathroom. If you don't it won't get done. Do something in your bathroom at least once a day. It is one of the most used rooms of the house. Bleach is your best friend in the bathroom.
- Have a built-in exhaust fan in your bathroom and teach your kids to use it whenever they take a bath or a shower. This helps remove extra moisture in the air. Keep the fan going even after your shower.
- Open the bathroom window curtain once a day. Do it during the sunniest time of the day. Mold likes to grow around window seals.
- If you can open your window, then do so! This will help dry out the bathroom, too.
- If you have tile walls, get a squeegee and push the water off of the wall. Don't let the extra moisture hang around and breed mold. Do the same with the floor of the shower.
- Use an after shower spray such as Tilex that has a Mold & Mildew Stain remover. They now have a new Refreshing Breeze scent which I plan on trying soon.
- Leave the shower curtain or shower door open after using the shower. Give it time to air out before closing.
- Hang up towels and floor mats to dry and change them frequently.
- Make sure you clean all around the toilet. Mold and mildew will hide on the backside and even the wall.
- Dust and sweep the bathroom, too.
- Teach your kids to hang up their towels and clean up their messes. Teach them to not leave puddles of water on the sink and floor. With little ones you will want to change that hand towel every day.
These are my handy tips. Even though I should, I don't always clean in my bathroom every day. I do though, every other day. Whatever you do, establish a pattern and soon it will become a habit.
Do you have any bathroom tips to share? I would love to hear them. Please leave your tips in the comments!
So what is the Mold Show? Watch the video!
Ok so what is the scoop on the Tilex "Cancel the Mold Show in Your Bathroom" sweepstakes? Tilex is celebrating their new lineup of products. They want moms like you and I to enter their sweepstakes to win cool prizes such as a Nexflix subscription and a 40" flat screen TV for your bathroom (well not really for your bathroom but if you are keeping it clean you might want to spend more time in there enjoying it!) There are several ways to enter, one of which is to share the news with your friends as I'm doing here. All entries must be submitted by 3/16/2012. I get you are wondering how to enter? Enter on the Tilex Facebook page!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Tilex blogging program, for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.