This month, RC from Texas and Just Add Cayenne Blogger sent me a very healthy package! He asked what I preferred and I told him healthy foods because I'm on a healthier eating journey and was curious as to what healthy products are in Texas :)
Here are my goodies: RC made two of the items. He also sent Texas Champagne Hot Sauce (we are enjoying it and half the bottle is already gone) and Beanitos (bag has been empty for awhile now- family enjoyed them, too!) It was a very tasty box.
Salsa Baked Goat "Cheez-its" (yum) and Dehydrated Okra (yum)
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 20 - 25
Make these and you'll never buy a box of cheese crackers again. Crunchy, tangy, and spicy all baked into whole grain, protein goodness!
Ingredients (approximately 40 square cracke)
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 3/4 cup unflavored protein powder
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 4 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese (chevre); you could use all cottage cheese for a lower fat and easier option
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup Drew’s Salsa; any flavor will work
- Combine flour, oat bran, cheeses, salt, and cayenne in the work bowl of your food processor.
- Pulse until crumbly and then add in salsa a little at a time, until dough comes together. (You may need to add more)
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and quick chill in freezer for 5 – 10 minutes or in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick silicone mats. Set aside.
- Place dough between floured parchment paper or a silicone mat; it can be sticky. With a floured rolling pin, roll to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares or whatever size you like. Poke holes with a fork or toothpick in each one to help keep them from being to “puffy”. Slide parchment paper or mats onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crackers turn a light brown and are crisp. Remove one to let cool and check to see if it’s crispy. If they are not crisp, bake a few minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days (they won’t last that long!).
You can also be a Foodie PenPal. Get the scoop, HERE!