Wednesday, August 15, 2012
5 tips to Save Big on Back-to-School Shopping…While Teaching your Kids!
1. Go shopping in your own closets and drawers!
Have your child collect their left over schools supplies from the previous year, and together, decide what can be reused (items like pens, erasers, and highlighters are usually most recyclable). Use this example to teach your children about the importance of recycling and how it helps to save money!
2. Compare Prices
Make a list of only the supplies you need and research different stores to see where you can find each product the cheapest.
Depending on the age of your child, have them help you with this and let them know the budget you have set aside for the item. Turn it up a notch, if they help you save a nice chunk of change, offer an incentive that you will give them a portion of the money they save you!
3. Use sales to get a head start for next year!
Once the current school year begins, there are sure to be many sales. This is a perfect time to stock up on notebooks and binders, etc. for the upcoming year at great prices!
Bring your child with you and compare price differences to show them how much they can save if they shop smart.
If your child is very young (K-3), bring them along to expose them to the types of money available (cash, coin) and to show them how money facilitates transactions.
4. Children pay too!
Of course you will purchase majority of your child’s back-to-school items but have them use some of their own savings to cover any “extras”.
This is a great time to have a conversation about the difference between needs and wants and why they’ll need to budget their money in order to afford them.
5. Take advantage of ways to make and save cash
Consider selling new or slightly used clothes that your child has never worn or grown out of.
Pack lunches from home instead of purchasing a school meal plan. Explain to your kids that this will save money that can be used towards other fun things like going to the movies, going out to dinner, etc.
- Back to College Rush Savings & iHome Giveaway
- Tortilla Pinwheel Mexican appetizer
- Printable Coupons & Deals end August 31st
- Customer dissatisfaction vs happy customer #HelloB...
- DIY Initial pearl door wreath & bow
- Tween First Period and how to break the ice
- Back to School with 5 Easy Meal, $1.25 coupon and ...
- Join Scott Shared Values Program for Deals, Reward...
- Adult Craft Ideas and Pinterest Linky
- A Crafter's Dream Giveaway hop with hot prizes
- Wild Salmon Patties & Quinoa - 4 Thumbs up!
- The Green Teen- Top 5 Ways to Save the World!
- Back to School Help with Boys and Girls Club of Am...
- Honey, I don't have a headache tonight!
- Back To School Menu & Lunch Box fun
- Favorite Back To School resources!
- Aunt Salad isn't just for Ants!
- Fresh and yummy Focaccia bread recipe
- A Crafter's Dream Giveaway Celebration #ACraftersD...
- Lunch Box and Back to School recipes and ideas
- Look and Lose- same calories, more food!
- 5 Tips on managing cell phones with kids
- Traveling soon? Check the Airfare Sales!
- National Lemon Meringue Pie Day Recipe
- 5 tips to Save Big on Back-to-School Shopping…Whil...
- PUMPKIN SOUP for a fall night
- Because I saw it on Pinterest... Banana Ice Cream ...
- Weight-Loss Barriers & action guide
- Serotonin is nature's weight loss appetite suppres...
- Easy Lunch Box snacks with New York Style Bagel Cr...
- Menu Plan with Lunch box recipes & linky
- Reversing Antidepressant Weight Gain
- Skookie Cookie Cast Iron Cookie Skillet
- The Book Lovers Getaway Sweepstakes
- Best Ever Cookbooks with Pinterest Friends
- Smiling For Dreyer’s Slow Churned Ice Cream
- National Smore Day! Top 6 Recipes
- Back-to-School: Push Pop Lunchbox Snacks
- Top Printable Coupon Deals
- National Zucchini Day! Tasty Recipes
- Top Ten Money Saving Back to School Season Tips
- Cafe Pergolesi Espresso Steak Rub Recipe
- Cinema Paradiso - Cocktail
- Little House on the Prairie Green Pumpkin Pie
- DIY Color Your Own Shoes Crafty
- 15 Healthy & Savvy Traveler Trips
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Kisses
- Top 10 Tips for a Healthy Vacation
- Best Ever Cookbooks and Pinterest Link up
- Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- National Watermelon Day Recipes & Crafts
- Top Printable Coupons & Deals
- iPad a Day Giveaway from Coupons.com
- July Texas Foodie Penpal #foodiepenpals
- ▼ August (54)
- ► 2011 (462)
- ► 2010 (484)
- ► 2009 (229)