Monday, August 27, 2012
Tween First Period and how to break the ice
Learning About Sex series.) I knew that their body changes would signal when I would need to start discussing the actual first period. Guess what? Even though I knew the facts, I went into momma panic mode after the twins turned 10 years old. They were headed, alone, to a summer camp. It was only 1 week long but it was 2 hours away. For some reason I went in an all out panic momma mode and decided that I needed to have the talk the night before they left.
Why did I panic? I started my first period when I was 10 and just knew that was when they would start. I knew that they had some physical body changes but my panic momma mode didn't let me see that they would not be starting that first period anytime soon, especially within the next week. Do you know what physical changes their body will have before starting? Check here for wonderful tips on preparing for the talk and click on facts about puberty.
My point is for you to educate yourself on puberty changes, read everything available to you and don't go in an all out momma panic mode. You only panic when stressed and I was stressed about them leaving. Don't let stress ruin everything that you have been preparing for. My ice breaker was, "ok girls you are going away for a week and I want to tell you about something that might happen while you are gone." glup. Don't do that. Really, I did that!! The twins told me years later that I freaked them out. They didn't even start for another 3 years. Over those next few years, we had many talks to help them be prepared and not scared.
I don't think that there has to be any formal break the ice plan. If you haven't started talking to your daughters and you don't know where to start, I suggest checking out The Kotex site for tweens. This site will prepare you for any up and coming talks. Check out the link above for the facts about puberty. It really is one of the most helpful things on the site that I used for my youngest daughter. The other site to check out is U by Kotex for more detailed changes for tweens and teens. I do suggest you checking out both sites before sending your daughter there.
I am a U by KotexTween Ambassador and have written several post on this topic. Check out my other post, HERE!
I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by KotexTween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.
- Back to College Rush Savings & iHome Giveaway
- Tortilla Pinwheel Mexican appetizer
- Printable Coupons & Deals end August 31st
- Customer dissatisfaction vs happy customer #HelloB...
- DIY Initial pearl door wreath & bow
- Tween First Period and how to break the ice
- Back to School with 5 Easy Meal, $1.25 coupon and ...
- Join Scott Shared Values Program for Deals, Reward...
- Adult Craft Ideas and Pinterest Linky
- A Crafter's Dream Giveaway hop with hot prizes
- Wild Salmon Patties & Quinoa - 4 Thumbs up!
- The Green Teen- Top 5 Ways to Save the World!
- Back to School Help with Boys and Girls Club of Am...
- Honey, I don't have a headache tonight!
- Back To School Menu & Lunch Box fun
- Favorite Back To School resources!
- Aunt Salad isn't just for Ants!
- Fresh and yummy Focaccia bread recipe
- A Crafter's Dream Giveaway Celebration #ACraftersD...
- Lunch Box and Back to School recipes and ideas
- Look and Lose- same calories, more food!
- 5 Tips on managing cell phones with kids
- Traveling soon? Check the Airfare Sales!
- National Lemon Meringue Pie Day Recipe
- 5 tips to Save Big on Back-to-School Shopping…Whil...
- PUMPKIN SOUP for a fall night
- Because I saw it on Pinterest... Banana Ice Cream ...
- Weight-Loss Barriers & action guide
- Serotonin is nature's weight loss appetite suppres...
- Easy Lunch Box snacks with New York Style Bagel Cr...
- Menu Plan with Lunch box recipes & linky
- Reversing Antidepressant Weight Gain
- Skookie Cookie Cast Iron Cookie Skillet
- The Book Lovers Getaway Sweepstakes
- Best Ever Cookbooks with Pinterest Friends
- Smiling For Dreyer’s Slow Churned Ice Cream
- National Smore Day! Top 6 Recipes
- Back-to-School: Push Pop Lunchbox Snacks
- Top Printable Coupon Deals
- National Zucchini Day! Tasty Recipes
- Top Ten Money Saving Back to School Season Tips
- Cafe Pergolesi Espresso Steak Rub Recipe
- Cinema Paradiso - Cocktail
- Little House on the Prairie Green Pumpkin Pie
- DIY Color Your Own Shoes Crafty
- 15 Healthy & Savvy Traveler Trips
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Kisses
- Top 10 Tips for a Healthy Vacation
- Best Ever Cookbooks and Pinterest Link up
- Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- National Watermelon Day Recipes & Crafts
- Top Printable Coupons & Deals
- iPad a Day Giveaway from Coupons.com
- July Texas Foodie Penpal #foodiepenpals
- ▼ August (54)
- ► 2011 (462)
- ► 2010 (484)
- ► 2009 (229)