Happy National Orthodontic Health Month to all you braces wearing people! We officially have one teen wearing braces. She went from eating crunchy tacos to just eating the taco "guts." She is old enough to be in charge of her own orthodontic care and routine of bands,etc. Every time we go back for her appointments they praise her and are impressed at how quickly things are moving along.
Braces are a huge adjustment for the wearer as well as the cook in the family. Several times I had to change dinner plans because of my dear daughter and her sore mouth. I'm impressed at how responsible she is with them and how she is avoiding things that could cause damage to the hardware.
The recipes in this book focus more on "comfort food" vs. "forbidden food", which is so helpful! When your teeth are hurting you still need to eat! I appreciate all the recipes and suggestions on "do-able" foods. I love all the tooth trivia sprinkled throughout the book! The end of the book includes Websites of Interest! I found that very helpful, too!
The chapters in this book include:
*Soothing Tips of Difficult Days
*Dining-Out is Do-able
* Be-Nice-to-Me-Beverages (great, Mmm Mmm Milk Shakes)
*Bracket-Friendly Breads and Breakfasts (Apple-not too-Crisp & Twisty Soft Pretzels, yum)
*Mellow Main Meals (must have Soft-Crust Pizza and Tender Chicken Pot Pie)
*Very Tender Vegetables (yummy Red Beans and Rice and Three Corn Extravaganza)
*Definitely Deserved Desserts (tasty Sensational Cinnamon Snickerdoodles and Fudgy Cocoa Bites)
Red Beans and Rice
3 1/2 c. water
1-15oz can red kidney beans, drained
1/2 c. onion or 2 T. dried onion
3/4 c. chopped green pepper or any sweet pepper
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. dry long-grained rice
(optional: 2 tsp. dried basil or 6 crushed basil leaves)
In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 c. of water with the beans, onion, pepper, garlic and oregano. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer and cook for 20 min.
Add salt, optional basil and the remaining 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil again, then lower the heat to simmer and stir in the rice. Cook for 20 minutes, or to your favorite level of softness. Serves six to eight.
Notes: If you want meat, we did, add in soft chicken and skinless sausage. Hot sauce really kicks up the dish.
For more information, click and follow on Twitter and Facebook
I was given a cookbook to review and post. I hope you read the book to find out more information and get your own tasty recipes!
LINK UP Mardi Gras/New Orleans Recipes
- ► 2012 (531)
- ► 2011 (462)
- Family Fun Halloween Photos
- U Follow Me I Follow U Friday Blog Hop and Giveawa...
- Top 10 great uses for Vaseline Petroleum Jelly!
- HOT Game Link up, Reviews and Giveaways
- Keys To Good Cooking by Harold McGee Book Tour
- Top 5 tips on being smart about your Health Benefi...
- National Pumpkin Day Recipes & Reviews
- Shutterfly will make my Christmas Cards this year!...
- Shout out Fall Fun!!
- KT Tunstall Rocks my iPod!
- Ovaltine is great hot and cold!
- Follow Friday Link up Blog Hops and Giveaways
- Wits and Wagers Family game
- National Orthodontic Health Month Cookbook Review
- Princess Time Toys 18 inch Doll Clothes Review
- Brilliant Lenses Cleaner Giveaway
- Hot and Steamy Shower Mirror without the Fog!
- Hair Flairs: Pro Hair Tinsel Giveaway
- Quick and Simple Avocado Relish
- October is Adopt-a-Dog Month Giveaway
- Quick and Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- Freebie- Dole Real Fruit Bites
- $100 CSN Stores Giveaway
- Do you send personalized Christmas Cards?
- You want a what? A Family Fun Vacation!
- Halloween Candy Jar Craft
- Tips to help protect your family from the flu seas...
- Game Link up, Reviews and Giveaways
- Top 10 ways to incorporate FUN in your child's dai...
- Jane and the Damned TLC Book Tour
- Gooseberry Patch Homemade Christmas eBook review
- Up and coming CSN Stores Giveaway!
- *UPDATE* Dewey's 24 hr Read-A-Thon
- Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon Giveaway 19th hour!
- Join in the Dewey's 24 hr Read-A-Thon
- Win a Kindle in The Waiting Book Tour
- FREE Week of School of ROCK
- Toxic Waste Halloween Drink Recipe
- Halloween Finger Food Recipe
- Halloween Recipes, Ideas and Giveaway Link up
- Game Link up, Reviews and Giveaways
- Gooseberry Patch Recipe Giveaway!
- Baseball Lovers Giveaway with Franklin Sports
- Jello Brain Food Mold Recipe
- Oreo Cake Balls Recipe - Can you eat just one?
- Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Friday Blog Hops, Giveaways and recipe
- Not your grannies Pie Crust!
- ▼ October (48)
- ► 2009 (229)